Author Topic: Loading song into Jack Server for 'circlescope,' & Raspberry Pi  (Read 17828 times)

landshark

• View Profile
Hi. I've been trying to find out how to load a song into jack so that it shows up in the circlescope example. Is there a simple way to do this or to run all system audio through jack?

Also, I'm sorry if this repetitive, but did marcan release any of these examples in his demo, like the stars or the tunnel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_CHXwXvWvs

Lastly, I don't think Linux Mint runs on ARM, but would openlase run on a distro of linux supported by Raspberry Pi?

Thanks!
-f

Macpod

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Loading song into Jack Server for 'circlescope,' & Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:58:51 PM »
To get audio you can either make your own bridge or flip from using the "dummy" jack server to an actual audio server on your computer.

If you click on the info tab in that video there are two download links. Looks like they made and used ILDA files for those examples.

OpenLase is relatively CPU intensive and when I tried it last it had very poor isochronous usb transfer performance so I don't think it will work too well. Since that time someone has corrected the ISO transfer issue (allegedly).

Currently I'm writing software for a 3d printer based on the lasershark. Since this doesn't need to be realtime I used bulk transfers. At some point in the future I may change the lasershark_jack application to use bulk transfers (as an option for platforms like these) but I still don't think it will run well due to the processing power needed for openlase in general.

landshark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 02:07:51 AM »
Ok, thank you!

landshark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:21:55 PM »
Thanks again Macpod that worked!

I wanted to post some additional info here that might help somebody trying to run the openlase demo. It might be obvious, but just in case. It's about fixing a symbolic link if you have that. For these examples:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=55697
https://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/parties/2010/euskal18/wild/marcan_pope-lase.zip

you will get a zip file with a folder called wild_lase. Putting it in the openlase folder worked for me. Inside wild_lase is an executable called lase_demo. The first time you try to run it you might get an error ending in:
“libmodplug.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”
Which means that there is a symbolic link that needs to be made to fix this. Here's what worked for me, but as always it's a good idea to back up your settings first.
If in the file browser you go to the filesystem then usr then lib, you can scroll down until you see a file (or more) that begins with libmodplug. Find the libmodplug that has the highest number prefix at the end, for example: libmodplug.so.1. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but we're going to create a symbolic link so that when the computer tries to use libmodplug.so.0, it will use libmodplug.so.1, by making libmodplug.so.0 point to that.
Go to back to the last folder, and right click on lib and select to open in terminal. From here run,
sudo ln -sf libmodplug.so.1 libmodplug.so.0
except,
if you have a libmodplug.so. with a prefix greater than that in lib probably update libmodplug.so.1 to match that instead, but keep libmodplug.so.0

Restart the openlace applications and it should work!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:25:32 PM by Fstill »

Macpod

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 06:56:10 PM »
Glad you were able to resolve this problem and thanks for taking the time to post how you got this working.

Since you are not moving files and only generating a symlink to the current version of libmod, that should generally (there's always that fringe case!) not cause any issues in case you were wondering.

Fabrice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 03:09:10 AM »
Hi,
sorry to bother you but i'm encountering difficulties in following the steps of landshark...
I've found the lib drawer with the libmodplug.so.1 file but i do not understand the following step please

"Go to back to the last folder, and right click on lib and select to open in terminal. From here run,"

When I right click on the file i can not select to open it in terminal ... Have I miss something please ?

Thank you very much for your help

Have a nice day

Skappy

Macpod

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:54:17 PM »
Hi Skappy,

landshark is on a Linux distribution which allows you to open a Terminal session where the "current working directory" is set to whatever folder is open at the time. In his case the directory was /usr/lib/

If this option is not available to you you will need to open a terminal and manually change to the directory you have located this library in.

This step is creating an alias to libmodplug.so.1 named libmodplug.so.0:
Code: [Select]
sudo ln -s libmodplug.so.1 libmodplug.so.0
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:56:45 PM by Macpod »

Fabrice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 02:32:29 AM »
Hi Macpod,

That's great ... you make my day

The demo is just running under the simulator, I'm happy !::  :) :) :)

Thank you very much for your help and your kindness Macpod !

Have a nice day

Skappy