General Category > OpenLase Discussion

LaserShark / Openlase / Raspberry Pi ?

(1/3) > >>

Fabrice:
Hi ,

;D First of all thank you very much for this useful forum , i'm very happy to have discocered such a great place !  ;D (and aopologize my poor english Frenchie inside...)

I'm dreaming of owning a laser projector for quite a long time now and i have finally purchase the necessary hardware (galvo, drivers, laser source and laserShark kit) but I'm a total newbie in the linux world. :'(

So please may i ask you if I have any chance to use the raspberry pi with the Lasershark and openlase software ?

Which Linux distribition should I install on the Pi and please, could you tell me what kind of modification i must do in order to make Openlase and the included demos work ?

Sorry to be such a lamer but if someone could take the time of writing a kind of install-tuto , i'm sure that it would help lot of people ...

Thank you so much for your kindness and your patience .

Have a nice day

Macpod:
Hi Fabrice,

For 3d printers (which use bulk transfers) the raspberry pi should be fine to use however for real-time laser projector use it won't work... or if it does it will work very poorly. The raspberry pi is simply too slow for real time laser displays.

I would encourage you to install linux on your computer for development. You can install two different operating systems on the same drive, install a new internal drive and install linux onto this, or even purchase an external hard drive and install/boot off this.

Fabrice:
Hi Macpod,
Thank you very much for your answer, i'm really feel lucky and beholden to have find a such a great forum ...

I have well understand that Raspberry is not the right tool.

May I ask you if according to you, the use of a booting usb key with ubuntu 10.04 would do the job please ? I'm sorry to bother you with my poor level in linux operation but everything is still to discover for me ...

thank you very much for your time and your help Macpod ...

Have a great day

Fabrice

Macpod:
Hi Fabrice

Booting from a USB key is slow but will work. If you have a computer with USB 3.0 ports (they are blue instead of black) then definitely try use a USB 3.0 thumb drive (it should be a little bit faster).

This will also give you an opportunity to play with linux :)

c60:
I've used a raspberry pi with an audio dac using laserboy's info.  I basically just used the pi as a playback device.  I made up the multitrack audio files by recording the output of openlase and just using vlc with jack on the pi for playback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version