General Category > OpenLase Discussion

LaserShark / Openlase / Raspberry Pi ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Macpod:
Running the LaserShark or JACK isn't the issue on the PI, it's OpenLase itself. In real-time it calculates where points need to be drawn to generate lines/etc and the PI is not suited for this.

Speaking of Laserboy, this is the reason I made the lasershark_stdin app. Time keeps escaping me but I intend to either made a LaserBoy extension to output proper output for the LaserShark.. or simply make a LaserBoy WAV to LaserShark format converter. Since the display wouldn't need to be calculated in real time for this, you could definitely use a PI+LaserShark to display pre-canned shows

Fabrice:
Hi,
Sorry to return to the attack but may I ask you if you think that the brand new Raspberry PI Model 2 would be able to run openlase efficiently please ?

Thank you very much for your help ...

Have a great day

Macpod:
Hi Fabrice,

It should work better than it would on the 1st gen stuff, but to what degree I'm not sure.

Ideally what needs to occur is a code inclusion to take advantage of NEON for arm7 builds.

maxem:
Hi, I am interested in what the simplest form of a Linux computer you could use to run the LaserShark.  I know nothing about linux so I was hoping the Rasp Pi 2 would be powerful enough cause there is so much Rasp Pi documentation on setup and stuff.

You say for "bulk transfers" the Rasp Pi should be good enough.  I have a bit of an odd use for the LaserShark I would like to use it to help with part/material alignment on a cnc machine. Like this:
http://www.carterproducts.com/technology/z-laser-model-lp-hfd-pattern-generator

Basically I would have all the cnc files ready to cut for the day with the matching patterns for the LaserShark galvo scanner to help with material loading/placement.  I would just call up each pattern for each part, nothing fancy changing live just a still pattern projection.  Would this work with a simple Rasp Pi and say the files loaded on a usb or memory card? 

I would maybe use something like the frame creation tool near the bottom of this page:
http://elm-chan.org/works/vlp/report_e.html

I only need to make one pattern frame per cnc program to load the material properly. 

I know this is kinda a weird question/request but any input would be appreciated.  The price on those professional laser pattern projectors is way out of my league and also I don't need it to be as precise.
Thanks,
-Max

Macpod:
Hi Maxem,

You should be able to run the lasershark_stdin application on a raspberry pi (1 or 2) to accomplish what you want. This is located in this repo:
https://github.com/macpod/lasershark_hostapp

To use this program you pipe in ascii commands that tell the lasershark_stdin application where to steer the galvos to and at what intensity the lasers should be set at.

The format of these ascii commands can be found here:
https://github.com/macpod/lasershark_hostapp/blob/master/lasershark_stdin_input_example.txt
Side note: I have noticed some individuals are confused by the fact that there is only one sample in this file. Normally you would have way more s= lines.. this file is just supposed to serve as a demonstration of the command format. It is not intended to be run as-is.

There is also a program in that repo (lasershark_stdin_circlemaker.c) that demonstrates how to dynamically generate these text commands in order to continuously draw a circle.

If you are able to convert your patterns into the lasershark_stdin command format, then you should be able to load them onto a usb stick which can then inserted into the raspberry pi. On the raspberry pi you can make a script which will detect when a usb stick is present and then pipe whatever patterns may be on the stick out to the lasershark_stdin application.

So to speak that is just one way to skin the cat. You could also make a program which takes your patterns directly and output the ascii command language used by the lasershark_stdin application. You could also set this up so you could transfer files over a network/etc. The sky is the limit!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version