Author Topic: Cheap Linux Box Recommendations?  (Read 11817 times)

galactron

• View Profile
Cheap Linux Box Recommendations?
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:26:34 PM »
I'm looking for a recommendation for a cheap linux box that I can permanently install with my projector.  I want it to be capable of running some of the openlase games like world war vi, and a node server for input via the web.

Do any of you have any recommendations?  What kind of specs will be the important ones to look for?

galactron

• View Profile
Re: Cheap Linux Box Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:39:16 PM »
The Intel Compute Stick looks promising.  Thoughts?

Macpod

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:54:29 PM »
For OpenLase you will definitely want something x86 based.

To give you an idea of the power you may need for this, I started development on a core duo running at 1.66ghz and that was ok for games like asteroids.

World war vi looks like it would be quite strenuous on your galvos without simplification

It is possible the Intel Compute Stick could work. I would also check out the Intel NUC units if you are looking for something small
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:56:38 PM by Macpod »

galactron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »
Thanks!  I think the best route might be to not go crazy trying to get a small SBC, but to get a small form factor PC with a core i3 or better off ebay or craigslist for cheap.  it doesn't need to be low power and the size is not a big concern.

It looks like if you compile world war vi with OPENLASE=1, it hopefully does the simplification for you.  The guy has videos of his laser rig running a simplified version. 

Thanks for the perspective on the hardware!