Author Topic: Running "simple" example results in garbled cubes being drawn in simulator  (Read 17550 times)

KB

• View Profile
Hi LaserFolks,

Using an HP laptop I tried many Linux distros until I found one where I could solve the dependencies and run on my hardware. In my case it was Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. When I follow the Openlase and Jack configuration on the Openlase wiki, and run the "simple" example. I get a large morphing "scribble" drawing at 60fps instead of the cubes I should be seeing. I cannot find an error in what I have done but I am obviously missing something. I'd appreciate some guidance so I can graduate from the simulator to using the LaserSharks I bought.  Thank you all for your time.

KB
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:04:12 PM by KB »

Macpod

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Running "simple" example results in garbled cubes being drawn in simulator
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:14:28 AM »
I develop/test with Linux Mint. This is based off the Ubuntu codebase and your 14.04 64 bit should be fine.

To dive into this:
- Am I correct to assume you are running Ubuntu directly on the hardware vs through something like VirtualBox or VMWare Player?

-Can you run the lasershark_stdin app and circlemaker app successfully?

-Can you take a screenshot of your patchbay configuration inside of qjackctl (with all components expanded)?

KB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 08:19:33 PM »
Thank you.
Answers:
1. Ubuntu is running on hardware, no VM
2. yes, your stdin and circlemaker cooperate to draw a circle on my wall.
3. screenshot attached

KB

Macpod

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »
Hmm, I haven't seen this before. Immediately this makes me think there is a Jack configuration issue, or a problem in how OpenLase was configured or compiled.

Thanks for the screenshot. Based on this it looks like your Jack patchbay looks ok.

Your Jack patchbay looks ok. Can you take a screenshot of the jack "Setup..." window too? Specifically I'll be interested to see if you have the driver set to "dummy" or an actual audio interface.

KB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
Ok, no smoking gun yet, here's the setup screenshot:

Macpod

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:35:46 PM »
Hmm,

Those settings seem OK too. I do see that you have an xrun in jack. Ideally you should not have any. Are you consistently observing these? What are the specs of this laptop? Have you tried reducing the sample rate and increasing the frames/period value to see if this improve the situation?

Have you rebooted since first setting this up? It is important to make sure that you open qjackctl and click the start button BEFORE running anything else to ensure they run in that jack session vs another one.

If the above suggestions don't work, can you run the following?
file <path to example application>

KB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »
Thanks for sticking with this thread. The machine has 8GB RAM and a core i5, so I hope it has the power necessary. I have indeed rebooted several times, and I have tried reducing the sample rate to as low as 4k and have tried all available frames/period.

I think I should try again to install Mint and a fresh openlase on this system. In the past there were dependency issues, but I can try again. I'll report here my progress.

Thank you.

KB

Macpod

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »
A laptop like that should be fine. Yea, you can try Mint however I'm not sure if that is going to help. Let me know what the results are and we can take it from there.

KB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »
Thank you for offering. I installed Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, then installed ffmpeg via:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

Then I followed the openlase compile steps but ran into  a fatal error:
-------------------------------
/home/efilm-rnd/Desktop/openlase/tools/qplayvid/qplayvid.c:38:38: fatal error: libavresample/avresample.h: No such file or directory
 #include <libavresample/avresample.h>
                                      ^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [tools/qplayvid/CMakeFiles/qplayvid.dir/qplayvid.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [tools/qplayvid/CMakeFiles/qplayvid.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
efilm-rnd@efilmrnd-HP ~/Desktop/openlase/build $
-------------------------------
I attached the verbose cmake and make results as a .txt file if that is useful.

Searching for this message online yielded what looks like some qplayvid.c changes by KamalMostafa. I don't understand though if his changes are complete and if I should use his version of qplayvid.c

Thanks again.

KB

Macpod

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »
Apologies for the delay, had a few busy work days again.

Argh, the av conversion stuff always changes. You are receiving that warning because you need to install the package libavresample-dev. Even if you install this however openlase needs to be patched yet again for this to start working again. Yes, as you have seen KamalMostafa's has made some changes to allow it to work. I think those are sufficient but since this is a tangental problem lets just comment out that build step so the rest of OpenLase compiles. The qplayvid allows videos to be displayed on the laser projector by edge tracing if you wre curious.

To disable it, change to the tools/qplayvid directory and open the CMakeLists.txt file and change this line:
if(QT4_FOUND AND FFMPEG_FOUND AND SWSCALE_FOUND AND BUILD_TRACER)
to this:
if(FALSE AND QT4_FOUND AND FFMPEG_FOUND AND SWSCALE_FOUND AND BUILD_TRACER)

sudo apt-get install libavresample-dev