Author Topic: LaserShark on Mac OS X  (Read 9842 times)

troglodisme

• View Profile
LaserShark on Mac OS X
« on: April 15, 2015, 04:51:20 AM »
While somebody at my local hackspace is trying to build OpenLase for Mac (edy555 already did a great work here, but some dependencies seems to be broken https://github.com/edy555/homebrew-openlase), I am starting to try and understand if it would be possible to use the LaserShark board directly from a Mac.

Anyone managed? Any suggestions?

galactron

• View Profile
Re: LaserShark on Mac OS X
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
Bump.

I fumbled around in dependency hell with ubuntu and Mint VMs for a few hours before trying the OSX route with homebrew.

OSX installed way easier than anything else I tried!  The last step is compiling lasershark for OSX.  Any tips?  right now it's stuck since it can't find jack/jack.h or libusb.h.  I installed JackPilot, so probably have the jack files somewhere...

If anyone has this working, please let us know how you did it!

galactron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
OK, it wasn't that hard.  So This assumes an install on Yosemite using edy555's homebrew openlase install:

https://github.com/edy555/homebrew-openlase

To get it to install in Yosemite, use
Code: [Select]
brew install openlase instead of
brew install openlase --HEAD
OK now that you have openlase installed, a couple of modifications are needed for lasershark to build. 

first install libusb and pkg-config:
brew install libusb
brew install pkg-config

now open the MakeFile in lasershark_hostapp and add
-I /usr/local/include -I /usr/local/include/libusb-1.0after the first "$(CFLAGS)"

It should look like:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -I /usr/local/include -I /usr/local/include/libusb-1.0 -o lasershark_jack lasershark_jack.c lasershark_lib.c `$(PKG_CONFIG) --libs --cflags jack libusb-1.0`
then use "make" and it should work!  You can ignore the linux instruction about editing permissions in /etc/udev, this is not needed in OSX.

troglodisme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:30:44 AM »
Hi guys,

Have you tried running the same setup on El Capitan? We are getting an error while brew install openlase

>>>>  -- Could NOT find ALSA (missing:  ALSA_LIBRARY ALSA_INCLUDE_DIR)

anyone facing the same issue? would be great if you could try on El Capitan.

Thanks a lot